Monday, April 4, 2016

Remembering Betty

It's almost 2 years since my mother-in-law, Betty, passed away.  More like a mother to me than a mother-in-law, I have missed her so much in this time.  In the beginning I used to peg out clothes at night, look up at the stars and chat to her in heaven.  I haven't done that for a while.

Today I visited an old friend at the retirement home where Betty spent the last 3 and a half years of her life.  When I walked out the door, I looked at my children and said "remember how Grandma Betty used to say to you 'hello little darling!'"  She was always so happy to see them.

I miss being able to visit her.  I miss being able to talk to her.  I miss taking the children to see her.  I miss her reaction when they would tell her about something exciting happening in their lives.  I miss her crazy stories and ideas.  I miss taking her to church.  I miss her at birthday parties.  I miss her on Mothers' Day.

I miss the "old" Betty, the one I knew before her stroke.  I miss her phone calls.  I miss her "I've been thinking......." ideas.  I miss her interfering in her children's lives.  I miss her advice.  I miss her cooking.  I miss visiting her at her home.  I miss listening to the latest legal disaster that she and John were facing.

In the 2 years since Betty passed away, I have hardly written in this blog.  Sometimes I sit down to type something, but no words come.  The Word for Today devotional was about grief this week.  I especially liked this quote:  "Dr Colin M. Parkes said, ‘Grief is the price we pay for love.’ The more you love someone, the more you grieve their death."  That is so true.  I miss Betty, because I loved Betty.  I only wish I had told her more.

2 comments: