Thursday, October 23, 2014

A Blog Post About Nothing

I am a Seinfeld fan.... for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I mean the "television show about nothing" that ran in the 90's.  At one stage my sister and I could relate almost everything that happened in life, to a Seinfeld episode.

Well today was another one of those days.  I think I could write the script for the episode I imagine they would make about my day!

I had a rollercoaster of a ride today - watching both my children perform at the Eisteddfod, attending the funeral of a friend's grandmother, trying to support another friend who is going through a tough time, and generally making a complete fool of myself in public.... a talent that I seem to have unfortunately almost perfected.

I also did something to the front of my car while driving over a steep gutter, which has caused it to make a dreadful noise when I am turning.  I can't see any damage, but I can certainly hear it.

Along with all that, I also forgot to take a new camera memory card to the Eisteddfod.  Thankfully they were running half an hour late, so I sat there madly deleting hundreds of photos on my old card to make room to video my son's performance.  I only got the camera in June, and I am still struggling at times to use it, so when the children started singing, I was still fiddling with the focus and missed the start of the song.  When the same thing happened again in the second song, I gave up and didn't record it at all.  Of course they sang it perfectly, and I was kicking myself for not videoing it, especially since my daughter couldn't be there to watch him perform.

I went home at lunch time and bawled.... some days are just better off forgotten.

But then tonight I read a quote on Facebook (thanks to my friend Janet for sharing this) - "Do you know that nothing you do in this life will ever matter, unless it is about loving God and loving the people he has made?” ― Francis Chan, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God.  After reading that, I immediately thought (and commented on Janet's post): "oh thank goodness for that... all the stupid crap today really doesn't matter in the scheme of things".

You know, I had myself so worked up today over all the "stupid crap" that I was literally shaking.  I wanted to slap myself, or find someone who would slap me.  I was so angry with myself for being such an idiot.

But Jesus doesn't look at me that way.  He loves me.  The Bible tells me so (as the song so nicely puts it).  My other friend Janet (yes, imagine - I have 2 friends named Janet on Facebook!) immediately pounced on my post about what an idiot I was, so after indulging in a little pity party for a while, I deleted that negative post and silently thanked her for the virtual slap.

Both Janets blessed me today by their comments on Facebook.  They reminded me that I should look for the positives, not the negatives.  My minister's wife calls it "treasure hunting" - so here goes:

  • My children performed beautifully at the Eisteddfod and were well behaved the entire time they were there.
  • My lovely friend gave my son an emergency haircut at 7.30 last night when it suddenly occurred to him that he shouldn't appear at the Eisteddfod looking like a crazed clown who had just got out of bed.
  • I didn't have to work today, so I was able to attend the Eisteddfod and the funeral, and collect my daughter from school.
  • The choir teacher forgave me for acting like a complete and utter moron.
  • I did manage to video part of my son's performance, and I was able to come home during the day to recharge my camera battery and find my new memory card, so that I could video my daughter's performance tonight.
  • I have 2 beautiful children and a husband who loves me despite my idiotic tendencies.
It's amazing how much better I feel tonight than I did at lunch time.  So now I had better get to bed - I have to work tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Janet for your real, encouraging blog. Madonna

    ReplyDelete