Monday, April 30, 2012

It just keeps getting more and more ridiculous.....

I'm talking about the world of course... the number of ridiculous things just seems to grow every day.

WARNING - THIS IS A RANT!

I just read a great article comparing the laws governing the wearing of seat belts to the laws governing abortion.  Something I had never thought about - comparing the two - but it's true.  Why does the government force me to wear a seatbelt (and fine me if I don't)?  Because I might hurt myself if I have an accident.  So what?  Isn't it "my choice" if I decide to put myself at risk?  Just like it's my choice if I want to jump out of an aeroplane, or write an opinion piece for the local paper which upsets some people and makes me nervous about answering the phone for a week in case I get blasted with abuse again.  Last I heard, this was still a free country and everyone was entitled to their opinion.

Obviously the government is trying to protect me by making me wear a seatbelt, and that is a good thing.  I agree that everyone should wear seatbelts.  But why does that same government not protect my unborn child? (nb: I am not pregnant and have no intention of getting pregnant!!!  I am just trying to make a point)  Why do the unborn have no legal rights?  Why can women choose to throw out their baby like an unwanted Christmas present?

The old "it's my body, it's my choice" argument just doesn't cut it with me.  No, sorry, it isn't your body at all actually.  It is a completely separate body, complete with fully functioning parts, which if left alone, will arrive into the world as a truly amazing example of God's handiwork, just like you are.  A perfect little miracle.  I find the whole "it's the woman's choice" argument to be ridiculous.

Our local government elections last weekend are another perfect example of ridiculousness (if there is such a word).  I've spoken to a lot of people over the last 4 years.  I don't remember anyone actually being happy with the work of our Council in general.  Sure, they've done some great stuff (like heating the local pool - pity the heating keeps breaking down - maybe next time you get work done, check out the contractors first) and upgrading our airport, but day to day stuff seems to have been pushed aside.  Everyone comments how sad the town looks, like it is not being looked after.  Tourism isn't a priority for our council at all.  But yet, when the electors had a chance to boot this mob out, did they?  Nup.... It appears that the current Mayor will be returned, and so will 4-5 of the current sitting Councillors that ran for election again.  So what is going to change?  Probably very little.

Our town is going through a rental crises at the moment, much like other mining towns.  This has been compounded by 3 floods in the last 3 years.  People just have nowhere to live, so the landlords can charge what they like.  A quick search on realestate.com.au reveals you can rent a lovely little 3 bedroom home for between $550 and $700 a week..... How is a family supposed to afford that?  Or you could move to another lovely little town, a short 30 minute drive from us (through lots of roadworks, often more than 30 minutes) and pay $450 for a 2 bedroom house ..... absolutely ridiculous.  Where are the ordinary families in this town going to live?  Where are we going to get staff from?  No one will be able to afford to stay here.  And what happens when the mining stops, as it inevitably will?

The Urban Land Development Authority rode into town on their white horse, and promised they would be the saviour of our housing crisis.  "Affordable housing" was the catch-cry of their new estate.  A quick glance at their website shows the cheapest house is currently $359,799 - not really my definition of affordable for low income earners.

Our country has a federal government which is hanging on by the skin of its teeth.  It got elected by lying.  Great start to government.  Whether or not a carbon tax will fix our environmental issues isn't really the point.  If it was such a great idea, why did our Prime Minister promise before the election that there would be no carbon tax under her government?  Why are they still scare-mongering about the coalition re-introducing Work Choices?

Why do kids in our town have to sit in classrooms in 43 degree heat without air-conditioning, when prisoners are kept lovely and cool in their cells in our capital city?  Why isn't 43 degrees hot enough to be included in the "cooler schools" zone?  Why do the P & C have to slave their guts out to fundraise for air-conditioning?

Why is it ok to poke fun at Christians, Christianity and Jesus, but don't you dare say anything about Muslims in case you are labeled a racist or worse .... (I don't think it's ok to poke fun at anyone - just saying).

How am I supposed to feed my family healthy food, when everything is loaded up with additives, preservatives, colourings and flavourings?  Even fruit and vegetables have been kept in cold storage so long, goodness knows how nutritious they are.

Every day I seem to find yet another example of some ridiculous thing in our world.  So what am I going to do about it?  Am I going to sit here and whinge and do nothing?  I have a 4 year old at home, so I cannot physically run for Council, or protest in the streets, but I AM going to fight to make people aware of issues.  I am going to keep asking hard questions of our Council.  I am going to lobby the government for change.  I am going to raise issues with the media.  I am going to blog.  I am going to pray.  What are YOU going to do about it?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Janet. Keep doing what you can - God uses everyone who offers themselves to Him. It can be frustrating being a mum at home, but you have a unique and special opportunity to teach your children about all this ridiculousness (with age appropriateness, of course) so that they in turn can teach theirs!
    We are living in a world where everyone is so easily offended (I'm starting to hate that word!) and with stifling policitcal correctness. There aren't many people out there who see it and those who do are often ridiculed or abused, as you've experienced. But God didn't say that He'd protect us from it, just that He'd give us strength and grace to endure it if we just rely on Him.
    Bless ya lots x

    ReplyDelete