Last week I had one of those "lightbulb" moments..... I was pegging out the washing (again), praying as I normally do at the clothesline. It's one of the few times I get alone with God. I have a 6 year old and 3 year old, and if I want any "me" time, it's either in the middle of the night when I'm too tired to pray, or it's when I have too many other things to do.... (no excuse, I know).
So I decided some time ago that the clothesline was a good place to pray.... We have a large backyard, the neighbours can't hear me talking to God, and there's just me and Him.... good stuff.
But this week, after my prayer time outside, while I was feeling all warm and fuzzy, I came inside to find my kids trying to kill each other. Well they would dispute that, they would say they were just being kids. However it pushed my buttons and I exploded.... WOULD YOU TWO JUST STOP IT!!! I'M SICK TO DEATH OF YOU TWO FIGHTING..... etc, etc, etc.... rant, rant, rave, rave.....
Now I've been told that our words should resemble a silver box tied with a bow.... and I can tell you that my words resembled nothing of the sort. When I have to give an account to Jesus on the last day, the words I spoke that day won't be ones I want repeated in public.....
So I start to wash up, feeling very frustrated that I can't even keep my peace for 10 minutes after my prayer time, and the title of this blog came to my mind. I imagined writing a book with the title "Praying at the Clothesline, Screaming in the House"... no idea what would fill the pages, but the gist of it was staying in faith while raising small children.
Unfortunately I don't think I will know for another 20 years if I managed to keep my peace and stay in faith, or if I have failed miserably, hence the blog....
Joyce Meyer is a woman I greatly admire. She struggled with many of the same issues that I do. I just want to know how she coped with her children!!! I love my children dearly, but gosh they drive me nuts some days.
So I am going to start blogging, who knows what will come out of it, but maybe I will gain some insight into what I am doing right, what I am doing wrong, and what God wants to do with what I have to offer Him.
Hurrah, Janet! Can't wait to read more....I think taming the tongue is one of the biggest challenges a Mum can face. And the more of us encouraging and admitting our faults to each other, the better! God bless you. Julie :)
ReplyDeleteHey Janet - I love your honesty and your real-ness! God bless you and this blog - looking forward to joining you and encouraging you in this journey!
ReplyDeleteYes Janet, the reality of life is in the tension between how we would love to be and how we actually are....I struggle with this daily...but we are in good company...remember Paul's letter to the Romans expressing just this.
ReplyDeleteRomans 7:23-25
The Message (MSG)
21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.
24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.